Blood:Water Mission
Compassion International
International Justice Mission

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Music Monday: Little Euphrony's favorites

So, this Music Monday comes with a little side of spite. Mrs. E passed on to me that a few of ours friends who blog (people we know in real life) are tired of all the music posts I put up. They want to read more about Lil'E. Well, just because I can, I have posted about both music and Lil'E. I can imagine the consternation I am causing these individuals now and can't wait to see if they skip the post (as they said they would do for any music post) or read because it is about my sweet girl. I'm just evil that way.

Here are two of Lil'E's favorite songs. The first, I think I've mentioned before, is "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" by They Might Be Giants. Okay, I've always loved TMBG - call it a personal weakness. I've got "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" on a CD and every time Lil'E rides in the car with me the first thing she asks for is this song - even before I can get my seat belt fastened. Sometimes she wants to listen to it ten or twelve times in a row. The best part of it is that it's made her curious: Who are the Turks? Why is it Istanbul and not Constantinople? I've been teaching her history and she actually lets me! Here's a video that was done as part of Tiny Toons (really, Steven Spielberg plus cartoons equals brilliant!).



The second song is "Grace Flows Down" by Christy Nockels. I believe I've heard people say that she could sing a math textbook and sell a millions copies with people raving about her beautiful voice. When Lil'er E was first born, this song was about the only thing that would calm him down; big sis loved to sing it to try and help sooth little brother. She loves the songs, and it is beautiful hearing her sing it. The video is just pictures with the lyrics, but the voice is why you listen.


What are your kids' favorite songs?

Tags: , , ,

5 comments:

erin said...

I think it is HILARIOUS that one of her favorite songs has the words "Istanbul" and "Constantinople" in it! How many songs have that claim to fame? :) I have not heard that song in a looong time, so thanks for the remidner.

And I completely agree about Christy Nockels' voice; I feel that way about Brooke Fraser's voice, too.

Amy said...

I love Christy Nockels! Still waiting on that new cd that keeps getting put off! :)

I've learned it's impossible to keep everyone happy with what you put on the blog.

Douglas said...

Perhaps the only music post I've truly enjoyed reading in the last several months.

I'd have to agree with your friends in real life about more Lil'E and less music, with the caveat that I'd like more geek posts, too. Pretty, please.

MB

Anonymous said...

I also love Christy Nockels and Brooke Fraser (and TMBG). My 3 daughters love TMBG singing the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme song, and also Hi-Five (on TLC) singing "Ready Or Not". Their other favorites are the Twila Paris lullaby album, and my oldest daughter Natalie shares my love of Shaun Groves, especially "Here I Am". As a proud Daddy, my daughter actually asked me for my top 5 artists and songs last night which in addition to Shaun and "Here I Am" includes Downhere's "A Better Way", Derek Webb's "Lover", Sara Groves' "I Saw What I Saw" and Jars of Clay's "Love Song For A Savior". She approved of my list.

JSue said...

Alright, I'll comment...(I assume I'm one of those "friends in real life" - at least, I guess I still am!) Don't take it personally, I just prefer funny stories. Sometimes my little bloggyworld can be boring (who am I kidding, MOST of the time is more like it, probably - but I don't post for your entertainment, I comment for your entertainment)

My girls pause anytime the Imagination Movers come on TV. Personally, I don't mind getting up off my tookus (that's my bottom for those of you who don't speak my crazy language)and dancing around to the words "Jump up, get down, stand up, turn around, turn around, turn around, turn around..." FUN!!! My kids love anything that has hand movements, which around me, could be just about anything. My life is a walking broadway musical. (I am NOT kidding - how else would my children be so animated) Ask Hot Rod, he'll tell you.

Some of Maddie's and Hailey's favorite songs include (I'm not sure if these are the real titles):
I'm a Little Pile of Tin
Blue Skies and Rainbows
The Wheels on the Bus
God Knows my Name (I am not Forgotten)- Israel Houghton
Stomp ("Makes me clap my hands, makes me wanna dance and STOMP!") - Kirk Franklin
Every Move I Make - David Ruiz
God's Big Backyard

And anything that includes non-words like Na-na-na or La-la or anything that resembles someone forgetting the words to a song. Oh, or any song during which a nice head bob is appropriate.

Me...just give me Casting Crowns!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment. Be nice, and it'll stay. Be mean, and it'll go.