Blood:Water Mission
Compassion International
International Justice Mission

Monday, June 09, 2008

Music Monday: A page from the past

It's been a few weeks since I put up a Music Monday post (and it seems that Kat is focused on other things right now, as well). But I've had this playing in my head the last few days. This is a small step back in time to the late 80's, and a revisit of one of the best guitar-rock albums of all time: Joe Satriani's Surfing with the Alien.

I remember when I first heard this, just after it came out in 1987. The guitar licks just blew me away. Seriously, just some of the best guitar I'd ever heard at the time. The album is all instrumental, which is just fine because it takes the emphasis of melody away from the voice and lyrics and allows Satriani to put it all on his guitar. I had already become a fan of one of his former students, Steve Vai, and now had the chance to hear the man who taught him. Besides Steve Vai, Satriani has taught many rock guitarists from the 1980's, including Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Larry LaLonde (Primus), and David Bryson (Counting Crows), and he is recognized as one of the most accomplished players of recent times.

Here is the titular song from Surfing with the Alien, played live by Satriani. Enjoy!


Tags: , , ,

1 comment:

Anne said...

We have this album! Haven't listened in a long time. Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment. Be nice, and it'll stay. Be mean, and it'll go.