Blood:Water Mission
Compassion International
International Justice Mission

Monday, March 16, 2009

Music Monday: And now for something completely different

"Don't Download This Song" by "Weird Al" Yankovic

Disclaimer: I downloaded this song.

Just for the record, I do not in any way support music piracy. I often tell friends, when letting them borrow a CD, not to burn a copy for themselves. I know and interact with some of these artists, and the real impact that it can have on their lives - not all musicians can afford a solid gold Humvee. But I also have very little support for the . In premise it's a good idea, but the legislation is so skewed in favor of big corporations that it is ridiculous, and Weird Al's satire of it's use as a club is perfect.

In fact, I was chatting with a friend last night and found out that he has run afoul of the DMCA. He's a big contributor on the MobileRead forum, and Amazon has threatened them with a lawsuit over their offering a link (just a link) to a script that allows people to nefariously use their Kindle mobile reader (sold by Amazon) to read e-books that were not purchased from Amazon! Oh, the shame! I fear the next time I visit my friend it will be at Club Fed. (You can read a CNET article on this here.)

Tags: , , ,

3 comments:

NatCh said...

Hey, I think I'll look quite dashing in day-glow orange. :)

Anonymous said...

E, did you know that Weird Al is a C of C member?
Also, Pat Sajak, supposedly.

euphrony said...

NatCh - but they wouldn't let the doggies visit.

Casey - I'd heard as much about Al, but not Pat. Do we accept people with such good hair, or is that considered too indulgent?

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment. Be nice, and it'll stay. Be mean, and it'll go.