Blood:Water Mission
Compassion International
International Justice Mission

Monday, March 09, 2009

Music Monday: Sandra McCracken

I really first listened to Sandra McCracken and her music when I got a sampler from artists on the Arts*Music*Justice tour last October. Based on the two songs on the sampler, I loved her music and her voice; this was only reinforced when I heard her live at the AMJ concert. I got her latest album, Red Balloon, for Christmas and love it. This is perhaps one of my favorite songs off the album - "The High Countries". Just beautiful.


This song actually appeared on the Caedmon's Call album Back Home, a few years ago. Here's what she has to say about this song:

This song is based on C.S. Lewis’ book "The Great Divorce." It borrows Lewis' spiritual analogies of the things that would keep someone from salvation. The term "high countries" represents heaven and a chance to be reconciled with God. The lyrics are pulled out of the book with detail and description, but even for those who are unfamiliar with the text, the song circles universal themes of brokenness, spiritual indecision and the human heart's natural resistance to salvation.
Just another song for your Monday enjoyment. Have you listened to Sandra McCracken's music? What's your opinion?

Tags:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Sandra McCracken!

texasinafrica said...

I really like her version of "O Come and Mourn with Me." It's on one of the Indelible Grace cd's, which are still awesome despite the fact that I'm not a Calvinist. :)

Case & Kani Herrington said...

She sounds a bit like Tori Amos to me . Very pretty.

euphrony said...

TiA, Calvinism is the new retro chic - come on, join the party! Oh, wait, I'm not Calvinist, either.

Case, I think you're correct.

Kristin, I'm glad I've discovered her music.

Anonymous said...

She's awesome! My favorite is the Ampersand EP with he hubby Derek Webb last year. Here's my review: http://www.newreleasetuesday.com/albumdetail.php?album_id=6025

I only gave 3 albums 5 stars last year, and that was one of them (along with Bebo Norman and Downhere).

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment. Be nice, and it'll stay. Be mean, and it'll go.