Blood:Water Mission
Compassion International
International Justice Mission

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Buddy Rich vs. Animal

Some of you may be asking "Who is Buddy Rich ?"

Buddy Rich is well known among percussionists. He was a very good player, if not well liked for his mercurial personality, best known for his power, speed, and ability to improvise. He often would get into drum battles, competing head to head with some of the great players of the day. Here we see him meet his match, with Animal sticking it to him in the end.

Note, though, Buddy's minimalist equipment, especially by today's standards: a single bass drum, rather than two; no fancy rigging; no electronic cues for pre-recorded riffs. Just some serious beating of the skins.


For those who could care less about drumming, or are not amazed at the speed and dexterity with which his hands fly over the drums, I give this alternative. A full page of Drummer Jokes! As a sampling, here is the first on the page:

How do you tell if the stage is level?
The drummer is drooling from both sides of his mouth.

Tags: , , , , , ,

5 comments:

FancyPants said...

Ha! I love these drum-offs with Animal!

Chaotic Hammer said...

Buddy Rich is rad. Since I'm a drummer, I've long been an admirer of his stuff. I have lots of cool videos of him doing his thing. It's phenomenal.

And who doesn't love Animal? It's funny how many people compare me to him after they see me drumming. I'm not sure, but I think this is a good thing. (?)

Of course, my drums are still in boxes now, and it's been a long time since I've played. I have no idea if I'll ever get back to that level again, or if drumming is in my future in any way. I sure enjoyed playing at my church in California as part of the music team, but in Nashville drummers are as common as dirt.

Anonymous said...

I had a drummer at a church in VA who thought he WAS Animal...

euphrony said...

Yea, most "drummers" look up to Animal more than anyone else. I always thought of myself as more of a "percussionist" - a well-rounded individual. Of course, I did help my high school drum section design and buy shirts with the slogan "Loud, Fast, and Thrashin'", along with a picture of a drummer doing just that. Ah, those were good days.

Anne said...

That was pretty cool to watch. I would love some Buddy Rich videos for my son. I'll have to put that on my list.

Chaotic Hammer - In Nashville, singers are as common as dirt too. Been there, done that.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment. Be nice, and it'll stay. Be mean, and it'll go.