Blood:Water Mission
Compassion International
International Justice Mission

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

If I could . . .

acoustic guitarSo, here I was thinking the other day about how I have a hard time seeing some of my favorite artists in concert. The reason, I was guessing, is that many of these artists tend to perform in small, acoustic settings. And Houston just doesn't have anything set up for small venue acoustic concerts that includes Christian artists in the mix. (By "Christian artists" I mean artists who predominantly produce CCM style music. I know that there are plenty of artists that hit the small Houston venues who are Christians.)

So, as I said, I was thinking (a dangerous pastime, I know) that I would absolutely love to open something like a coffeehouse which would regularly feature live acoustic performances from some great Christian artists (and by "Christian artists" i mean - well, we've talked about that). I can name a laundry list of people who I would invite in to play. Jason Gray, Pierce Pettis, Andrew Peterson, Steven Delapoulos, JJ Heller, Cindy Morgan, Sara Groves, Shaun Groves (no relation), Derek Webb, Sandra McCracken, Charlie Peacock, Matt Brouwer (he's here in Houston, so that shouldn't be hard), Fiction Family (seriously, have you heard this collaboration between Jon Foreman of Switchfoot and Sean Watkins of Nickel Creek?), Andrew Osenga, Emily DeLoach - and that's just for starters.

I only forsee two problems with ever pursuing this dream:

  1. I have no business acumen and less ability to promote events. Seriously, I'm lousy at selling anything or running a business.
  2. I detest coffee. I mean, I even hate the smell of the stuff. I'd get nauseous being in a coffee house for too long. (Maybe I could go with more of a pub theme?)
So, other than those two setbacks, I could be well on my way to my dream.

What would your dream job be?

3 comments:

Chaotic Hammer said...

You could just move to Nashville.

euphrony said...

C-Ham, great suggestion. But then I would be spending all my money on live music events and the children would starve. Big problems there. Other than that, do you know of any openings for a rheologist in Nashville?

Anonymous said...

Cool topic E. I like the concept and "Beauty And The Beast" quote. I'd probably have a similar dream job, although I love coffee. Love your list of artists, I'd also add Joy Whitlock to the list. Take care, Kevin

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment. Be nice, and it'll stay. Be mean, and it'll go.