Blood:Water Mission
Compassion International
International Justice Mission

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Transitions (or "How Euphrony did something that might on the surface seem a bit crazy but really will turn out to be a good thing")

There are two things in life that I am not fond of. The first is being up on a ladder and the second is change. So, what have I done this week? I hung Christmas lights (hours going up and down a ladder) and I quit my job.

Yes, you read that correctly. I quit my job. In the middle of what is now, officially, a recession I quit my stable, relatively secure position. And I did it for the money. Among other reasons.

Is it crazy? Maybe.

So, about a month ago (actually, the week I had strep throat) I was called out of the blue by a head-hunter representing one of my old companies competitors. They had a job opening for a rheologist and my name was brought to their attention. They brought me in for an interview - I didn't even have time to put together a resume, I just gave them a CV I use when I go to conferences and such. Sixty minutes later, I went home. And then the head-hunter called back to talk salary.

I debated this for a month. I wasn't looking for a new job. Outside of the normal annoyances, and of course the Dilbert-like bureaucracies that can be found at every company, I was happy with my job. So, why should I be looking for something else? But, I would have been a fool to not at least talk to them. And then, after the interview, I prayed for weeks about this - and I think that God gave me little answers every day. Now was a good time for a change.

So, on Monday, I gave my boss two weeks notice. And, hearing that I was leaving for a competitor, he kindly asked me to pack up my desk and leave that day. Abrupt, but I kind of understand the reasoning (it's corporate policy, not just him). Everyone was quite surprised, and sad to see me go (that's nice) and I'm not burning any bridges; in all, I kind of feel bad leaving them in the lurch, but it was what I thought best for me and my family. Since I wasn't slated to start the new job until the 15th, I suddenly found myself with a great deal of free time. I'm working on the pre-employment stuff, drug screening, and background check, and with that all out of the way I should be able to go ahead and start next Monday. Just an extra week of vacation this year.

As I said in a comment yesterday, I had learned firsthand that free time isn't free. I've been busier than a one-armed coat hanger and barely found time to write this two days after the event. But there you go - the adventures continue.

10 comments:

Chaotic Hammer said...

Congratulations! I've done something very similar to this a few different times, and it has always worked out for the better.

Hope it works out great for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

wow that is a big adventure, and change, but Congratulations!

Cristy said...

Glad you finally blogged it and I'm happy to hear that the circumstances are such that you have a new place to go that will pay you. : )

NatCh said...

Finally reached a decision, eh? Good for you! I'm glad that you're feeling some peace about it. :)

Oddly enough, I was talking with a co-worker of mine today and learned that her husband works for your new employer. I mentioned that I had a friend considering a job with them, but declined to even name what you do since (as far as I knew at the time) you hadn't reached a decision yet, and I didn't want to take even that small a chance of it getting out through me.

Congratulations!

Stephen said...

Congrats! Hope the transition goes well.

JSue said...

I think Mrs. E mentioned something about a new job on Tuesday...it thought you were just getting a promotion.

Good Luck!

euphrony said...

Thanks, everyone. It's been crazy trying to make the decision, but now the course is set. I'll likely start on Monday or Tuesday (depending on when the results of background checks and drug tests come back). It'll be nice to have a little change, but there's still some nervousness as the process continues. Like I said, I don't like change. But, I'll deal with it.

texasinafrica said...

Awesome. Congratulations! And I won't tell the background checkers about the bodies in your backyard! :)

euphrony said...

Uh, thanks TiA, I think. I appreciate such resounding endorsements. Especially from Longhorns who are looking for stolen percentage points ;)

Douglas said...

Good luck in your new endeavor. It is always exciting to be changing jobs and moving into new stimulating environments. May your transition be a stress-free one.

MB

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment. Be nice, and it'll stay. Be mean, and it'll go.