Blood:Water Mission
Compassion International
International Justice Mission

Monday, March 31, 2008

Music Monday: Being moved

So today Kat is asking about music that moves us. I'm going so show a couple of examples of songs from artists who spiritually challenge and encourage me. These are songs that I can listen to over and over again and still feel something change inside me at the end.

First up is
Sara Groves. I know, I know, if you've read anything from me in the past then you know I'm a big fan of Sara's music. But, since I've not talked about her music in a little while, I thought I would remind you of some of her great music. First up is "Add to the Beauty," title song from her 2005 album. This is a live performance, taken from her NOMAD DVD, and features Steve Mason from Jars of Clay. The lyrics from the bridge is just a total killer for me:

This is grace, an invitation to be beautiful
This is grace, an invitation


This is "Less Like Scars", from All Right Here. A great song that really reminds me of what it is to rest in God and persevere in His embrace. Check out these lyrics:
Less like a prison, more like my room
It's less like a casket, more like a womb
Less like dying, more like transcending
Less like fear, less like an ending


Oh, and speaking of Jars of Clay, here is a video of their titular song, "Good Monsters". (Alas, embedding is disabled!) They show an amazing wit in writing this tongue-in-cheek song. You are flayed before you even realize that you are being attacked by the words. Perhaps overshadowed by the many other great songs on this album, "Good Monsters". Here are some lyrics:
Do you know what you are; do you know what you are?
We are bored of all the things we know
Do you know what you are; do you know what you are?
Not all monsters are bad
But the ones who are good
Never do what they could, never do what they could

Tags:
, , , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

E., I totally love your choices. In a complete coincidence, I read Kat's post and responded with my top 5 "moving" songs and I picked "I Saw What I Saw" by Sara and "Dead Man (Carry Me)" by Jars and you can check out my other 3 songs on her blog.

Take care and God Bless!
Kevin

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment. Be nice, and it'll stay. Be mean, and it'll go.