Blood:Water Mission
Compassion International
International Justice Mission

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

What I got to do today

Today, I got to present some of my research to the top corporate executives for my company. The CEO was called away to chat with investors, but the COO and others were there. Mine was a part of the technology review of the status of recent projects. We each had about ten minutes, including questions from the big boys, and needed to include a demonstration.

Here is my demonstration. Now, I know this may look like glitter settling in a tube - okay, it is just glitter settling in a tube - but it really demonstrates the way in which particles settling in an angled hole will evacuate the fluid more quickly. They first only have to travel to the edge of the tube, instead of the bottom, and then they slide down to the bottom (called the Boycott effect). This is a critical problem in drilling fluids called "sag".

Watch the whole video - it's worth it. There's a big payoff near the end.


Okay, I lied. There's no payoff. It's just glitter settling in a tube. If you're still awake, get up and move around to try and restore circulation before you're whole body goes numb.

I'm sorry. I can't promise to never do this to you again, but I'm sincerely apologetic for today's imposition.

Tags:
, , , , , , ,

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK. I'm not nearly as smart as you are but...I don't see a video.

Maybe it's my browser. Maybe it's you.

I thought I'd bother you first.

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to pretend that video inspired me to... wait a second... yes I am going to pretend that it inspired me!

Euph, I feel like climbing Everest. Naked.

I'm going to write the great American novel. In French.

I'm going to bed at a semi-decent hour tonight.

Actually, that last one might be the farthest-fetched one...

Douglas said...

Do you use LaTeX at all? I'm considering learning it to cut down on the pain of submitting conference papers in painful formats painful to MS Word users (like most any format, but especially ones that say one must do things like include figures and captions in text boxes breaking all links. Thanks AIAA.).

If you use it, do you have a version that you prefer? What would you say the learning curve is?

MB

euphrony said...

Kat, Kat, Kat - if you'd just finally leave off the Macs and get yourself a PC then all your problems would be solved.

The url for the video is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFtteE5TuhI. Don't say you haven't been warned.

Cach, thanks for pretending. Now I'm going to have to scrub my mind to remove the image of a French/American novelist climbing Everest naked. AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH Okay, I'm better.

MB, no I don't use LaTeX. I've had friends since college swear up and down by it but have never gotten into it. Plus, so much of what I do has to be editable by other people at work, and the company stantard is MS Office. I do break ranks, though, and ditch Excel when it comes to graphs and curve-fitting. I got them to buy me the latest version of Origin. It doesn't do so much in the way of data manipulation, but it allows you to work with tons of data points on graphs easily (for example, I have some graphs that have a dozen or more curves with a couple of thousand data points each - in Excel it takes forever to update the graph but Origin has no discernable lag). And it has great curve-fitting capabilities, with a couple hundred pre-installed equations to fit to plus the ability to enter user-defined equations.

Chaotic Hammer said...

That was interesting. But I found something even more interesting here:

Watching Paint Dry

euphrony said...

Well, sure, you can always watch paint dry. Personally, I prefer watching grass grow.

I have one better - watch for a new post today or tomorrow. It's hard to top this one.

Amy said...

Can't get youtube at work, but I'm not sure I really missed much here...

euphrony said...

So sorry, Amy. It's not to be missed. Here is a still picture of the action.

Anne said...

WOW - I think my head bobbed a few times!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment. Be nice, and it'll stay. Be mean, and it'll go.